Miso Soup and Thanks Asian Food Grocer


My first Miso Soup!


Through the Foodbuzz taste program, the lovely folks at Asian Food Grocer allowed us to go shopping on their site and make something with the purchase. The goodies above are what I got, seaweed, rice cakes, shitake mushrooms, white soybean paste, a monkey bowl for my daughter, soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, tofu and pocky for my hubby (we ate a lot of these when we visited Japan!)

My plan was to try my hand at making miso soup a traditional soup in Japan, but when my order came I realized that I forgot to order stock. So I asked Fujimama for advice, she has a fab blog with lots of Japanese food on there.
She send me links to make dashi, but I am blessed to have a Japanese neighbour and she gave me some stock from her recent trip back home, it was in a pack, one tea bag like sachet makes about 3 cups of stock.

So here we go....
Ingredients:
  • 3 tablespoon white soybean paste
  • handful of dry seaweed
  • dashi stock
  • tofu
Method:
  1. soak the seaweed in a little water and set aside
  2. then make the soup stock but adding the sachet to hot water, make about 4 cups
  3. add to the pan and warm, then remove a little and dissolve about 3 spoon of the miso paste into it, add it back to the pan
  4. then add the tofu to the pan and seaweed and simmer for 5 min, its really that easy.
I added some shitake mushrooms and spinach to mine. Its a good source of protein, and vitamin K.

Food Chart



Jasmines bowl

Enjoy, please share your Japanese recipes I am eager to learn ......






Comments