Chicken Chasseur with Glayva

This is a week of firsts I made my first Cuban Dish the Picadillo and my first Chicken Chausseur, one of the hospitals I used to work at in England used to serve this and I loved it. It even had wine in it as my Muslim friend couldn't have any.

The word Chausseur is French for hunter and was often used for tough meats to cook slowly with shallots, garlic and wine. The sauce has a long history back to the 1600's and is thought to have been invented by It Duke Philippe De Mornay (1549-1623), Governor of Saumur, and Lord of the Plessis Marly in the 1600s. I didn't have any wine at home so I used Glayva a Scottish whiskey liqueur!

Ingredients:
  • chicken legs
  • 1/2 liter of chicken stock
  • 1/2 red onion
  • 7 cloves of garlic
  • 2 sticks of chopped celery
  • one tablespoon of Glayva
  • 2 chopped tomatoes
  • one pack of chopped mushrooms
  • one spoon herbs de Provence
  • salt and pepper
  • one spoon tomato puree
  • olive oil
Method:

  1. saute the onions and garlic in olive oil for 5 minutes add the celery and mushrooms and saute another few minutes
  2. then add the tomatoes, and herbs salt and pepper to taste and saute on low for 3 minutes
  3. then add the chicken stock and some tomato puree, and the glayva to make a nice sauce
  4. add the chicken cover and simmer on a low heat for 45 minutes, till the chicken falls of the bone.
This was delicious and was wonderful with Jasmine rice and steamed broccoli.


What is your favorite addition to a sauce ?





Comments