Australian Crunchie and My Birthday!

Its my 30th birthday today, so I made a goodie from my childhood Australian Crunchie- (no idea how it got its name!) yesterday to treat myself. This was mine and my brothers favorite thing to make when we were kids. Its really easy to make and comes from the BE-RO cookbook an iconic British baking book by a flour company.

It started to be published in the 1920's when self raising flour was introduced. The traveling salesmen would give it out at demonstrations!, and it is still going strong with over 38 million copies sold!

Ingredients:
  • 5 oz self raising flour
  • 8 oz butter or margarine
  • 5 oz sugar
  • 3 oz shredded coconut
  • 3 oz crushed cornflakes or any cereal, Jasmine didn't like the crushing part, but maybe when she is bigger and me and my brother loved smashing it up!
  • one tablespoon of cocoa
  • melted chocolate
Method:
  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees
  2. melt the butter/margarine over a low heat
  3. stir in the sugar, coconut and cereal, I used wheetabix and oats, cocoa and flour, mix well
  4. turn into the tin and level with a knive and bake for 30 minutes
  5. when almost cold cut into squares
  6. then cover with chocolate, I used a cappuccino flavor!

The famous book
Mixing the ingredients over the heat
Jasmine taste tasting before going in the oven!


Hope you enjoy it as much as we do, and its great to do with kids.

I think we will all go out for dinner tonight then of to New York City next week with my Brother from London and friends to celebrate. Will also catch up with some more blogging buddies!

Love to you all, take a piece and celebrate my birthday with me

Comments