Harissa Marinated Salmon Over Cous Cous


I was in the mood for salmon, well I always am, but wanted to make something different, I wondered what would go with cous cous so got on line and stumbled on Harissa. A North African chili sauce and I thought wow this is it.

As I was making it I was on twitter and was tweeting with the very talented Michelle from Big Black Dogs, I checked with her how to do it and she suggested baking the salmon after two hours of marination. She was telling me about a Soy lacquered salmon she had cooked and why not post our recipes on the same day so here they are!

So here is my version:

Harissa (my version)

Ingredients:
  • 2 red dried chili's
  • 1/4 of a green pepper
  • salt to taste
  • one tablespoon cumin seeds (the recipes called for caraway I didn't have any so used cumin)
  • one tablespoon coriander seeds
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 chopped tomato
  • 2 wild Alaskan Salmon steaks
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • little lemon juice
  • tablespoon tomato puree
Method:

  1. toast the coriander and cumin seeds in a pan, then add the green pepper
  2. add the garlic and red chili's
  3. grind with tomato, olive oil, a little tomato puree and lemon juice to make a paste
  4. cover salmon with marinate and let it sit for 2 hours
  5. then bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes
I served it over a bed of cous cous, this was really delicious and definitely something I will make again.


Stating that the
Salmon was delicious and the mushrooms sauteed in butter with just a little sprinkling of fresh Thyme were so good.


Be sure to go and see her blog, its wonderful and she is an excellent cook, maybe one day you will be lucky enough to pick her brain on twitter like I did!

What's your favorite salmon recipe?


Comments