Filipino Bitter Melon

So I bought this vegetable in the Asian store the other day and wasn't sure what it was and how to cook it so I tweeted the picture and got a recipe from the Tangled Noodle from this blog, a great Filipino food blog

Ingredients:

  • 3 bitter melon
  • 3 cloves of garlic
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 1/4 red pepper
  • rock salt
  • olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion
Method:

  1. Cut the bitter melon or ampalaya open and scoop out the insides, this is important to get the bitterness away, many folks tweeted this to me!
  2. then rub with salt and rinse, Tangled noodle states that her Mum soaks in salt water, maybe I will do this next time
  3. heat oil, saute onion, garlic, red pepper for 3 minutes
  4. then add the tomato and bitter melon and stir fry for 10-15 minutes, near the end scramble in the eggs.
To be honest this wasn't my cup of tea still too bitter, its called karela in Indian Cuisine and my hubby loves it. He really enjoyed this recipe and even went back for seconds. So go on give it a try there's a 50/50 chance of liking it!

Has anyone else had this before and how did you cook it?






Bookmark and Share

Comments