Gumbo and Olive Oil Bread

So for Healthy Bread in 5 min a day we were to make an olive oil bread and goat cheese focaccia. I made the olive oil bread overall it was pretty good, but quite dense surprisingly it was much lighter as focaccia. I didn't have all the ingredients for the cheese one, so I topped it with roasted garlic and rosemary it was really good.


Just had to add this picture can you see Jasmine little hand touching it as I was taking the picture!
So as you all know I got a Le Creuset last week and have been cooking up a storm in it. My neighbor kindly lent me a Le Creuset cookbook! and I found a great recipe for a Charleston style gumbo. Ever since Ed did the Gumbo guest post, I have been craving it.

This recipe is quite unique as it doesn't use flour to brown it. It thickens with the okra and potatoes it was simple to make and hubby gave it 8/10 good for him!

Ingredients:
  • 4 rashers of bacon
  • one spoon olive oil
  • one small red onion chopped
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 3 sticks of celery chopped
  • one green pepper chopped
  • one cup of okra chopped
  • one cup of wild shrimp
  • 2 small red chilli's
  • 2 small tomatoes chopped
  • one cup of vegetable broth
  • parsley
  • 3 medium potatoes chopped
  • some cayenne pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • salt and pepper to taste
Method:
  1. cooked the bacon for 3 minutes add the onions, garlic and celery for another few minutes then add the pepper, chilli's, potato, tomato, okra
  2. add the broth and the rest of the spices turn the heat low and simmer for 10 minutes
  3. then add the shrimp and simmer for a further 15 minutes
Great served with rice or bread.

While I was on twitter the other day after making the Gumbo Adriane a native of Louisiana told me she makes great Gumbo in fact the sausages are even homemade by her uncle, she just tweeted this snap, doesn't it look amazing, she even sells, sweets from her Grandma's recipes


Even Megan from Tomato Tots made a Gumbo after chatting on twitter be sure to check out hers as well!


Has everyone tried Gumbo? if not go one you will adore it!

also Amy from The Wayland cook gave me the Sunshine award thanks so much



Bookmark and Share

Comments