My First Risotto!




So happy I made my first risotto the other day, I have wanted to do it for ages, when Doggy Bloggy/ Christo of Chez What posted a Risotto I asked him for directions he kindly replied:

Risotto is so easy only time consuming. You are anchored to the process for 20 minutes - you cant walk away.
> You need to start with arborio rice - it is exclusively used for risotto.

> Basically you have your broth and your rice - start with a cup of rice and a cup of broth and simmer until the broth is gone - slowly add more broth and stir gently - continue doing this until the rice is al dente stirring gently the entire time- this is what gives risotto its naturally creamy texture as you activate the starch - this is about 15-20 minutes into it - at the al dente stage you can add some cream if you like or your favorite cheese, or butter and some herbs or mushrooms - its up to you at this point how you want to enhance it - pumpkin puree instead of cream would be good -
beet root puree if you want a purple risotto - the possibilities are endless.

After you see what this cup results in you will have an idea how much to make for future endeavours - I believe a cup is good for two servings.

So I got to work:

Rebecca's Mushroom, Pea, Shrimp and Romano Risotto

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1/2 cup shrimp
  • Romano cheese to taste
  • olive oil
  • one cup of water
  • 2 cups of vegetable broth
  • one cup of arborio rice
  • 1/2 pack of mushrooms I used baby bella
  • 1/4 red onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
Method:
  1. Saute the mushrooms, onion, garlic in olive oil for 3 minutes
  2. then add the rice and shrimp
  3. slowly add the water and broth little by little, when it soaks into the rice add the next cup, takes a good 20-3o minutes
You do need to stir and watch it but the end result is so worth it, as my little darling shows. I was taking a picture mid afternoon I cook when she naps, then snap a picture and she often gets a good afternoon snack he he






Have you made risotto? and if so what's your favorite recipe for my next one!



Bookmark and Share

Comments