Lemon and Spice Drizzle Cake





I made this wonderful cake the other day, and made my first glaze icing. In fact my Grandma's friend brought one of these cakes to her birthday party and it was delicious so I had to try it. 
I added a touch of all spice to it and some Meyer lemon, loved the combo. While we were in India we visited a coffee plantation in Coorg and I went on the tour at the beginning the guide passed us all a leaf to break and sniff and guess the spice it was. Most of all thought it was a citrus plant but at the same time it had a cinnamon/ nutmeg smell to it. Can you guess what it was? yep Allspice apparently the British named it this as they thought it was a combination many spices!


Ingredients:

  • 4 oz butter I used Echire a special French one :-)
  • 4 oz sugar 
  •  4 oz self raising flour
  • 2 eggs 
  • a pinch of allspice
  • a little juice of Meyer lemon
  • 2 teaspoon of lemon grated lemon peel
  • 2 tablespoon bakers sugar
  • hot water
Method:

  1. cream the sugar and butter till light and fluffy
  2. mix in the eggs and flour and a little lemon juice
  3. bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes
  4. let the cake cool
  5. then mix bakers sugar with hot water and the lemon peel to make a glaze, pour over the cake and let cool, sprinkle with allspice
  6. enjoy with a cup of tea - Heaven!



How do you use allspice?



Bookmark and Share

Comments