Payasam (South Indian Milk and Vermicelli pudding))




It was Diwali a couple of weeks ago and I made this payasam for hubby its his favorite, I used this site for the recipe, don't you just love blogs. I didn't make many changes, other than using pre- roasted vermicelli I got in my local Indian store and using butter in place of ghee both work well.






Ingredients:


  • Milk - 5 cups
  • Vermicelli - 1/2 a pack of pre roasted from the Indian store 
  • Sugar -1/2 cup or to taste
  • Cashew nuts - 8 - 10
  • Cardamom - 3-4 ( powder it- I used my coffee grinder to do this)
  • Raisins -10 -15
  • butter - 1 tbsp

Method
  1. Lightly fry the vermicelli  in butter 
  2. Boil the milk then add the roasted vermicelli to it and cook till it becomes soft.
  3.  Add sugar and powdered cardamon
  4. In a separate pan lightly roast the cashew nuts and raisins in butter 
  5. garnish the payasam with the nuts and raisins, I sprinkles a little cardamon powder for garnish too or pistachio would be great

Just before Diwali Jasmine and I did a rangoli resign. I try my best to teach her Indian culture :), but as you know I am a Brit and Christian so Christmas is my biggie :-) but still important to learn and respect all cultures

We are headed to Florida for the weekend tomorrow got a fab deal on fights and planning to meet two of my favorite bloggers, stay tuned :-)


Have a wonderful weekend all

Love



Bookmark and Share

Comments