Lotus Root and Peanut Soup




I went out for lunch recently with fellow ladies who tweet :-) in Greensboro and after lunch me and the little man, went to the Asian market there's a great big one there called Super G. I spotted a bag of lotus root and couldn't resist getting a bag I had seen a soup on Biren's blog Roti and Rice , but I lacked the pork to make the stock. So after a fun chatter on facebook, I decided to make miso soup with it. It is an aquatic root of the lotus flower low in fat, high in vitamin C, fiber, potassium, thiamin, riboflavin, vitamin B6, phosphorus, copper, and manganese. This root has a neutral in taste and had a great crunch. 



Ingredients:

  • 1/2 a pack of vacuum packed lotus root from the Asian store
  • one sachet of dashi soup stock 
  • a couple of handfuls of peanuts
  • 6 strips of seaweed broken into smaller pieces
  • 2 tablepoon of white miso paste 
Method:

  1. soak the sachet of dashi with hot water in about 3 cups of water, its like a tea bag for 2-3 minutes then remove
  2. mix in the miso paste with the stock/dashi and another cup of water 
  3. add lotus root and peanuts and boil for 15 minutes 
  4. near the end add the seaweed 
  5. enjoy 



So has anyone had lotus root before and do you have any more recipe idea's for me :-)

Hugs


Bookmark and Share

Comments