Mohinga Myanmar (Burmese) Fish Soup




I was in Greensboro a couple of weeks ago and spotted a store -Myanmar grocery store (next to super G the Asian store), one of my sister in laws, the lovely Yu Yu is from Mynamar (Burma) so I had to go inside. After chatting with the owner and getting recipe tips and showing pictures of my dear sister in law. I came away with a packet of fish soup mix to make Mohinga a popular dish there, mostly eaten for breakfast. She even had the little fried bean fritters for sale frozen, (seen on left) just needed to be warmed up.

 I love learning about others cultures and cuisines and often the very act of making the effort to cook a dish from another persons country shows you love them so this post is for you Yu Yu. 


Ingredients:
  • 1/2 a packet of soup stock - its made from 
     fish sauce, fish paste, ginger, banana stem, lemongrass, onions, garlic, chickpea flour
  • 1/2 a packet of the rice flour
  • a little roasted garlic
  • one small packet of vermicilli noodles 
  • 1/2 an onion chopped
  • one boiled egg
  • 4 cups of water 
  • chili powder to taste
Method:

  1. add about 1/2 the packet of the stock to a pan with 4 cups of water with the onion 
  2. simmer for 15 minutes, then mix in the rice powder to thicken. This is first mixed with water to form a paste. 
  3. meanwhile boil the noodles for 5 minutes 
  4. serve the soup with the noodles, fritters and egg.
  5. garnish with roasted garlic and chili powder




 I got married first in Scotland where my parents live, then in India (the pictures were taken from my phone from pictures on my wall, sorry not the best quality).

So if you have a family member, friend or neighbor take a moment and cook a dish from their country with them, sit a while, enquire about their homeland, traditions, religion the learning will enrich you too. So Yu Yu until we meet in person, here's a virtual meal for you. It was tasty soup, I am sure fresh is much better but this is a good option for folks living overseas according to this nice write up.


Bookmark and Share




Comments