When we were in Icelandic I had some of the best seafood soup I had ever eaten and me being me I knew I would be going to be making it on my return. I had a recipe in hand from one of the local restaurants for the stock. I hadn't made seafood stock from scratch before and needed crab shells for it, its then you realize its a lot easier living on the coast. But no problem as My local Whole Foods has the best fish expert she even got me a dungeness crab from the back. So of I went with my crab to make the soup. The kids were fascinated by Mr. Crab and even pretended it was real- pinching them, see clip below!
I would say the trick of re creating a dish from your travels is making it as soon as possible while you can still taste the dish :-) then writing it down or blogging it.
Ingredients:
- One large crab
- 2 cups of shrimp
- 1/4 cup of wine
- 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- one teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 3 cups of water, and about 3 for the initial boiling of the crab
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1/2 a roasted butternut squash roasted and pureed
Method:
- boil the crab for 20 minutes, remove the meat and add the shell back to the pot
- add 3 cups of water, wine, garlic, curry powder and paprika and simmer for 1-2 hours this makes your stock
- after this time remove the shells
- add the roasted butternut squash (I simply cut it in 1/2 and roasted with olive oil, salt and pepper for 45 min until soft and pureed)
- add shrimp and the crab meat, and simmer for another 10 minutes
- enjoy
This was a tasty soup, but quite a bit of work, its probably best to make lots of stock and freeze it :-)
Mr. Crab
The recipe for stock I got from the restaurant :-)
Reykjavik Harbor
Who else has made seafood soup ? feel free to link recipes below I will add to the facebook page and tweet :-)
Hugs

Pin It