Sprouted Kala Channa Salad



I saw a recipe for sprouted Mung beans on Kiran's blog and if you don't follow her blog you must, creative recipes, great photography and a fun personality. I have actually been meaning to sprout beans for the longest time, its fun to see them grow and they are super nutritious. Sprouted beans are a a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Riboflavin, Folate, Copper and Manganese.



I decided to sprout black chick peas also known as kala channa I followed Kiran's method, soaked overnight then left them lightly covered in a damp cheese cloth over a sieve for 2-3 days. Once they have finished sprouting keep them in the fridge. I made a simple salad with these but I have seen some tasty stir fry recipes on Indian food blogs. Here's a great recipe for chick pea and sprouted green gram sundal 
Sprouted grains are also used to make bread I brought a loaf from the farmers market recently.

Ingredients:
one portion
  • 1/4 cup of sprouted kala channa
  • a handful of lettuce mine is homegrown
  • about 5 slices of cucumber chopped 
  • a few sliced cherry tomatoes
  • a sprinkle of parmesan 
  • 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil, 1/2 tablespoon of white balsamic and 1/2 teaspoon of honey mixed 
Method:
  1. simple assemble the salad
  2. add the dressing and enjoy 
Being honest the sprouted chick peas weren't really my cup of tea, but I am pleased I learnt how to make them I think as an Indian side dish with spices it would be tasty. 




Does anyone else sprout beans or grains and how do you use them? 


Bookmark and Share
Pin It

Comments