Spicy Bottle Gourd


This is a simple South Indian vegetable dish using bottle gourd, or surai-kuduvai in Tamil. The Bottle gourd is one of the oldest cultivated gourds it has even been found in caves in Mexico dating back some 7000 years! It is also often used to make the hollow part of a sitar. They contain mostly water, some vitamin C and fiber.

I was contacted by My Spice Sage a wonderful online spice shop to try some of their spices, and of course I said yes, I use lots of herbs and spices from around the globe. I asked for some Indian curry powders, I must admit I was a little skeptical that they couldn't measure up to my mother in laws from India. But they were really good, I decided to use the Maharajah curry mix as the name makes you think of fabulous kingdoms from long ago and cuisines fit for kings.


Ingredients:
  • one bottle gourd, chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • teaspoon of mustard seeds
  • pinch of salt
  • 5 curry leaves
  • one spoon of the Maharajah spice mix
  • pinch of turmeric
  • 1/2 red onion chopped
  • 2 small green chili's
  • canola oil
Method:

  1. heat the oil and pop the mustard seeds, add curry leaves, chili's and garlic and onions saute for 2 minutes
  2. then add turmeric, bottle gourd and cook slowly with curry powder for 30 minutes until soft.
I ate this with egglant dal and rice. Overall it had a great flavor and I am looking forward to using the garam masala, and tandoori mix next.

chop the ingredients
saute it slowly

Enjoy..

and this is a fabulous article of Britain's love for curries from the BBC


Have a great weekend everyone

Love




Comments