Rhubarb and Strawberry Crumble



This dessert is one of my Dad's favorite desserts, I remember nibbling on rhubarb dipped in sugar as a child and Dad asking Mum to make rhubarb crumble. When I buy rhubarb in the store the folks at the check out often ask me what to do with it. Recently I have seen it braised and used in salads, made into a compote and roasted with honey. I love making a batch with strawberries, then adding to yogurt, or oatmeal or making crumble. 



Ingredients:
  • 4 stalks of rhubarb
  • one small box of strawberries 
  • sugar to taste about 2 tablespoon 
- cook the rhubarb with the strawberries and sugar on a low heat for about 20 minutes it will completely cook down into a compote. I used a little to make the crumbles, added a little to my morning oatmeal and froze some. 

Crumble 
  • 1/2 cup oats 
  • 2 tablespoon self raising flour 
  • 1/4 stick butter 
  • 2 tablespoon sugar 
  • Handful of walnuts 

Method:
  1. Mix the crumble ingredients with your fingers 
  2. 1/2 fill ramekins with rhubarb and strawberries  
  3. top with crumble mixture and bake at 350 for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. 
  4. its wonderful served with custard or ice-cream





We sat on the back deck and gobbled it up warm for our afternoon snack 


on a gardening update me and the kids picked some lovely fresh fava beans today :-) I truly enjoy growing food with them and it keeps my sweet Granddad's memory alive he loved to garden.



I have also been having fun, making the kiddies creative sandwiches lately here are a couple. I am adding them to pinterest in case others need inspiration. They love it and eat more fruit this way :-)



We celebrated our 10 year wedding anniversary this week, hard to believe. Its been a great 10 years with adventures, 2 kiddies and living in America. 

We travel to Scotland this week for a while as my lovely wee brother is getting married, so excited and happy for him. Stay tuned for pictures especially facebook and twitter :-) our wee man is even going to wear a kilt. 

Have a wonderful week everyone 

Hugs 



Bookmark and Share

Comments