Amma's Idly/Dosa Recipe









Today I made idly and masala dosa after a long time, in fact maybe 7 months, jut after my mother in law left back to India after Jasmine was born. She made it all the time being from South India. The last time I made it, it didn't ferment well and was a disaster and since then I was too chicken to try again!, but since the weather has been in the 80's I thought why not.

Ingredients: 4 cups Idly Rice, 1 1/4 cup whole urad dahl, 2 tablespoon fenugreek seeds, a little salt.

1. Soak the rice and Urad Dahl in separate containers and soak for 8-12 hrs, I did this overnight on Saturday night (add fenugreek to urad dahl and salt)
2. the next morning grind the rice for 35 min, then the urad dahl for 45-50 min, make sure it doesn't stick to the sides and gets into a nice soft paste,
3. Mix both together with a little water if too thick.
4. Leave outside for 12 hours to ferment- I put it on the deck in 80 plus degree's.

Then refrigerate until needed, it will last up to a week.

We ate it today with potato curry and tomato chutney. Coconut chutney is awesome and sambhar. This dish is a traditonal South Indian breakfast food.

Tastes amazing but to cook the traditional way is a lot of work, hats off to Indian ladies around the world.

The motto of today's story is not to give up, try and try again, this time it worked. I intent to keep trying to pitch ideas for articles in my attempt to become a freelance writer, God willing it will all work out.


Rebecca

Comments