Mahane Yehuda Market שוק מחנה יהודה



I met David on Twitter @LoneTreeBeer he is fun guy from Scotland now in Israel who loves his Mrs. and has 2 grown daughters and 2 sons. He enjoys good food and often tweets pictures when he visits his local market like he did the other day. I saved them on my phone and asked him for a guest post. As us food lovers love a good tour of the fruit and vegetable market!




I came to Israel, from Scotland, in 1983 - to discover what the country was all about....
I had graduated from Glasgow and London Universities, and so I now wanted to take some time off and do something a wee bit different.

During this year in Israel, I first learnt some basic Hebrew and then managed to get a job in Hadassah Hospital, Jerusalem, as a research assistant.
And I had a great time.
So when I was offered to start a PhD program in Infectious Diseases, I jumped at the opportunity - largely, as an excuse to stay here.

After about three years of research - and becoming totally frustrated with my progress - I decided to take a Sabbatical year.
I learnt Landscape Gardening....and never returned to my doctorate!

!n 1989, I formed my own design and landscaping company "White Flower Gardening" 

which keeps me busy - even today.

About 3 years ago, together with another couple, we started developing the idea of setting up a craft brewery.
Like the wine market of ten years ago, the idea of craft breweries was just starting to take off in Israel.

We had all been home brewers before - and we all enjoyed great beer - so we developed a proper business plan for the Lone Tree Brewery ("The Lone Tree" is the symbol of Gush Etzion - the area of Israel, just south of Jerusalem, where we live).

Like most new businesses, the beginning is very hard;
we decided to build a 50 meter building - a nano brewery - as a 'proof of concept' - to develop our own beer styles, to prove that we could work together and to verify that there was a real market for our beer.
After two years, I can now definitely  say, that we have now completed this testing stage - we make and sell great beer, albeit in small quantities.

We are now planning our "real" brewery - including a visitors center and pub/restaurant - looking for a great location and working with investors to raise the necessary funds.



This is a work in progress - but we are confident that we'll succeed! 


pumpkins


big cabbages


persimmons 


strawberries
mini watermelons 


olives 

fresh lemons 


fresh dates, oh wow these look so good


and amazing breads


lunch wish it was mine!



fresh herbs 


chilis

So if your ever visiting Israel this would be a fun tour and a great beer to enjoy ;-)



David promoting this beer!

Comments